A look back in time

Community

October 1, 2019 - 10:18 AM

70 Years Ago

October 1949

Within the next few weeks the old “Richards house” to which Iolans pointed with pride in 1900, will be torn down to make room for a new Allen County Hospital on First Street at the head of Madison Avenue. The three-story frame building was built in the late 1890s by William H. Richards, an Iola pioneer who first came here in 1865. Richards was engaged in several business ventures, including the wholesale grocery firm known as Richards, Lakin and Ireland. At one time he owned four buildings on the square. No member of the family has lived in Iola in many years. The house has had several owners. For several years it was used as a funeral home by J.E. Releford. It was purchased some time ago by Thomas H. Bowlus, president of Allen County State Bank, who gave it to the county for a hospital site.

Related
July 8, 2020
May 7, 2020
April 24, 2020
March 25, 2020