BBQ grill causes house fire



August 9, 2012 - 12:00 AM

HUMBOLDT — A barbecue grill was believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed the rural Humboldt home of David Hauser Wednesday.

Humboldt Fire Chief Kent Barfoot said firefighters responded to the fire in the 1700 block of Delaware Road to find the home ablaze. Thick plumes of smoke billowed from the structure as crews sprayed the house with water.

There were no injuries.

Barfoot said firefighters rescued four Yorkshire terrier puppies from the home.

The fire was doused before it could spread elsewhere, but the home was considered a total loss.

The fire marks the fourth consecutive day Barfoot and other members of the Humboldt Volunteer Fire Department have been summoned to calls throughout Allen County.

“We’ve been keeping busy,” Barfoot said.