Caressa Vaughn woke up coughing a little after midnight Wednesday morning to find her house filled with smoke.
She realized the problem immediately. She had fallen asleep while food had been left cooking on the stovetop.
She made her way through the smoke to the kitchen, where she saw a small fire on top of the stove and a bigger fire on the floor next to it. She tried to douse the fire from water in the sink, but the fire on the floor was too big and the smoke was overwhelming.
Stay connected to the stories and events that make your community a special place to call home.
Subscriptions start at $14.90/month.View subscription options
- Unmatched coverage of Allen County’s local news and sports, a tradition dating back to 1867
- Compelling portraits of our residents, experienced reporting and thoughtful analysis
- Unlimited online access to iolaregister.com and our archives