It’s surprising to note that even in 2019, more is unknown than known about the actual composition of our universe.
For a long time, scientists have believed that everything in our universe–including us–was made of protons, neutrons and electrons, the building blocks of atoms. But?and there?s no nice way to say this?we?ve been completely wrong.
We now know that the visible universe–what we can see or observe with our eye or scientific instruments– is only about 5% of the total mass of the universe. So what?s the other 95%? It appears to be composed of a mysterious, invisible substance called dark matter and invisible energy scientists call (not all that creatively) dark energy.
Stay connected to the stories and events that make your community a special place to call home.
Subscriptions start at $14.90/month.View subscription options
- Unmatched coverage of Allen County’s local news and sports, a tradition dating back to 1867
- Compelling portraits of our residents, experienced reporting and thoughtful analysis
- Unlimited online access to iolaregister.com and our archives