North Korea threatens to pull out of summit

By

News

May 15, 2018 - 11:00 PM

Photos released by the White House of then CIA Director Mike Pompeo, left, meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang over Easter weekend. ZUMA PRESS/TNS

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea today threatened to scrap a historic summit next month between its leader, Kim Jong Un, and U.S. President Donald Trump, saying it has no interest in a “one-sided” affair meant to pressure the North to abandon its nuclear weapons.

The warning by North Korea’s first vice foreign minister came hours after the country abruptly canceled a high-level meeting with South Korea to protest U.S.-South Korean military exercises that the North has long claimed are an invasion rehearsal.

The surprise moves appear to cool what had been an unusual flurry of outreach from a country that last year conducted a provocative series of weapons tests that had many fearing the region was on the edge of war. Analysts said it’s unlikely that North Korea intends to scuttle all diplomacy. More likely, they said, is that it wants to gain leverage ahead of the talks between Kim and Trump, scheduled for June 12 in Singapore.

Related
November 29, 2019
June 20, 2019
February 7, 2019
June 13, 2018