Former Red Sox slugger back in Boston after shooting

Sports

June 11, 2019 - 10:41 AM

Fans hold up signs showing support for former Red Sox player David Ortiz prior to the start of the game against the Texas Rangers at Fenway Park Monday in Boston, Mass. Ortiz was shot in the back while at a club in the Dominican Republic. He underwent surgery and the Red Sox are transporting him back to Boston. GETTY IMAGES/KATHRYN RILEY/TNS

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — David Ortiz was back in Boston for medical care after authorities said the former Red Sox slugger affectionately known as Big Papi was ambushed by a gunman at a bar in his native Dominican Republic.

A plane carrying the 43-year-old retired athlete landed Monday night after a flight from the Dominican, the team said.

Ortiz had been in stable condition in intensive care at a Santo Domingo hospital after doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine, according to his spokesman, Leo López. He said Ortiz’s liver was also damaged in the shooting Sunday night.

Related
June 18, 2019
June 10, 2019
October 22, 2018
October 3, 2018