70 Years Ago
9 Next Saturday the Old Carlyle School will be put up on the auction block and sold to the highest bidder. The sale will bring to a close the second oldest school district in Allen County and erase the last physical vestige of one of the most influential pioneer communities in this area. The building probably will be torn down and hauled away. The land upon which it stands was donated to the district by Dr. J. W. Scott, father of the late Chas. F. Scott. It is located about a half mile west and one and a half miles north of the present Carlyle post office. It was opened several years before the Civil War and has been in almost continuous use until this spring. The building was used as a church on Sundays, as a classroom when school was in session and was the center of nearly all community life.
Stay connected to the stories and events that make your community a special place to call home.
Subscriptions start at $14.90/month.View subscription options
- Unmatched coverage of Allen County’s local news and sports, a tradition dating back to 1867
- Compelling portraits of our residents, experienced reporting and thoughtful analysis
- Unlimited online access to iolaregister.com and our archives