BRONSON — Employees and customers at Uncle Ben’s Bar and Grill escaped injury Thursday after a fire started in the kitchen and quickly spread, destroying much of the building’s contents
Ben Hardman, the tavern’s owner, told the Register the fire started above the grill.
Two employees and six customers were in the bar, and attempted to douse the flames, “but the fire got pretty crazy,” Hardman said.
The bar was evacuated, as was a mother and her children in an apartment next door.
Volunteer firefighters extinguished the blaze.
The fire was contained to the bar. The apartment complex, as well as the Bronson post office were not damaged.
Hardman said an insurance adjuster would be on the scene today to determine the extent of the damage.
“As old as the building is, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a total loss,” Hardman said.
Investigators from the Kansas Fire Marshal’s office also were due on the scene to investigate.
Stay connected to the stories and events that make your community a special place to call home.
Subscriptions start at $14.90/month.View subscription options
- Unmatched coverage of Allen County’s local news and sports, a tradition dating back to 1867
- Compelling portraits of our residents, experienced reporting and thoughtful analysis
- Unlimited online access to iolaregister.com and our archives