Dividing the One to multiply

In August 1870, a station was built near the highest point between Kansas City and the Gulf of Mexico. It was called Divide. A colony would settle nearby, and eventually changed the name of Divide to Colony.

By

News

June 21, 2021 - 9:47 AM

The Walker House in Colony, at the corner of Broad and Maple, was constructed while the town was still known as Divide. At different points, it housed a hotel, newspaper and telephone office. Photo by Trevor Hoag / Iola Register

It’s through division that the One begins to multiply.

That’s just what happened in August 1870, when a station was built near the highest point between Kansas City and the Gulf of Mexico along the Leavenworth, Lawrence and Galveston railroad.

This Ozark Ridge not only contained the area’s high point, but was seen as dividing the watershed of the Arkansas and Missouri Rivers; hence the new town was called Divide.

Related
June 1, 2021
July 4, 2018
May 1, 2018
March 17, 2017