The cemetery on the bluff

By

Local News

January 20, 2020 - 3:38 PM

This is the view from atop Cedar Bluff north of Toronto and near the hidden Pioneer Cemetery. REGISTER/TREVOR HOAG Photo by Trevor Hoag

Halfway in-between U.S. 54 and Toronto near the banks of Cedar Creek rests perhaps the oldest cemetery in Woodson County, with its first pioneer-era grave dating back to 1857.

Once called Pleasant Grove, it has been rechristened Cedar Bluff, due to the immense sandstone rock-face hiding behind it to the west. 

At one time there were few trees in the area, and it was possible to look out over this vantage for miles across the Verdigris Valley.

Related
July 20, 2020
January 28, 2020
January 20, 2020
September 30, 2019