An Iola Housing Authority apartment unit sustained heavy damage from a kitchen fire that erupted shortly after 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon.
Christa Morrison, living with her son in the complex at 515 Eisenhower Dr., escaped the apartment without injury, as did a neighbor in an adjoining apartment.
Deputy Fire Chief Tim Thyer said firefighters arrived on the scene to see smoke emanating from the roof, windows and doorways. They entered the kitchen to see much of the area surrounding Morrison’s stove ablaze, including the roof joists above.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within minutes and contain the fire to the kitchen, although smoke and heat damage were evident throughout the structure.
“It’s going to require a complete renovation,” Thyer said. “It also damaged electrical wiring in the ceiling.”
Morrison told firefighters she had turned on the stove minutes earlier and was in another room to check on her son when she smelled smoke. She took her son from the apartment after she saw the flames above the stove and called authorities.
Stay connected to the stories and events that make your community a special place to call home.
Subscriptions start at $14.90/month.View subscription options
- Unmatched coverage of Allen County’s local news and sports, a tradition dating back to 1867
- Compelling portraits of our residents, experienced reporting and thoughtful analysis
- Unlimited online access to iolaregister.com and our archives