Ol’ Zachary ends watch


Local News

January 7, 2019 - 11:07 AM

After more than 100 years of standing guard over the graves of Civil War veterans, “Ol’ Zachary” may be ready to retire.

Ol’ Zachary is the nickname locals gave the statue of a Union infantry soldier atop a monument at the original Iola Cemetery. Believed to have been built in 1903 or 1904 by the J.W. Fiske Company, the white bronze, or zinc, statue was refurbished in 1998.

A rededication ceremony in 2001 included him put atop a new pedestal.

September 29, 2020
August 25, 2020
July 8, 2020
August 24, 2010